I don’t know what you like to eat, or what your favorite cleaning supplies are, or how much toilet paper you go through in a month. But I do know that everyone needs those things. And no one wants to spend a ton of money on them. Let’s face it, there are much more fun things to buy- like shoes. And dinner out once in a while.
I have started making a list of the things that I absolutely should not run out of. Things that I would have to get up, get dressed and go to the store for at 1 am. Things like children’s medicine for fevers, medicines for my own fever, and…..ahem…..feminine supplies.
Then I add to that list things that I could make a simple meal from without going to the store. Winter’s coming. If I have to choose between pancakes or going to the grocery store for the sour cream I forgot for the stroganoff, well then we’re roughing it and eating pancakes.
Here’s a partial list of things I consider essential to have in the cupboards/fridge:
- peanut butter
- brown sugar
- baking powder and soda
With those items and whatever meat, fruit and veggies I have on hand, I know I can throw together a few different things to fill hungry bellies on the spur of the moment. Once my supply of those is established, I start adding to my stockpile by using coupons. I know not everyone loves them, but I do.
These are the items I added to my stockpile today using coupons.
- 6.4 oz Crest toothpaste $.88 after coupon
- Flour, $1.77 per bag after coupons- I’ll be getting more of these later this week. Stockpile essential!
- Cake mix, on sale $1.77 for 2, and I paid $.11 a box after coupons. Really nice to have when you have company coming.
- Frosting, $.80 after coupons
- 2 popcorn/2 soda $3.99 for all after coupon- family date movie night for a great price!
- 5 cans tomato soup, $4.00 after coupons
- 2 packages of ranch dip mix, used in a few of my favorite recipes or for kids lunches, $.29 after coupons
I probably should have skipped the tomato soup, since I can get a better price at the commissary, but we’re out and I’m sick. I crave hot mugs of peppery tomato soup when I’m sick.
I also picked this up for my sister in law, who is expecting a baby soon. Target price matched the Walmart online price, and then let me use a two dollar off coupon. So I got it for 2 dollars. I’m hoping by the time the baby comes that I will have found a bunch of baby things for a steal and will have a nice surprise package for her.
I let my stockpile run down when we put our house on the market, thinking it would be a quick sale. Now I have to build it back up.
What makes your list of must-haves in your cupboards? Do you coupon to stock up?